Foreclosure Prevention Information
Need assistance with a mortgage modification? Struggling with your mortgage payments? Worried about foreclosure? We're here to help, just call 952-402-9022.
What is the Foreclosure Prevention Program?
The Scott County CDA, a HUD-Approved counseling agency, provides free, confidential services to homeowners who are behind or are at risk of falling behind on housing payments. Homeowners choose the services they want, basic or in-depth counseling, in-person or over the phone.
How do I get started?
You can get started in three ways:
Call the Scott County CDA: 952.-402-9022.
Download and return our Intake Form. Completed forms can be:
Faxed to 952-496-2852
Emailed to email@example.com
Mailed or dropped off at 323 South Naumkeag Street, Shakopee, MN 55379
Attend a Foreclosure Information Session: Bring your completed Intake Form with you to the workshop. Registration for the workshop is encouraged. (Workshops may be canceled if there are no registered attendees.) At the workshop, you will have to opportunity to schedule a one-on-one appointment with a homeownership specialist.
Does housing counseling really work? YES!
HUD Studies show counseling helps families prepare for homeownership and keep the homes they have. The foreclosure counseling outcomes study found:
- Most study participants attempted to contact their servicer when they first fell behind but were unsuccessful in negotiating with their lenders on their own.
- With a counselor's help, 69 percent of counselees obtained a mortgage remedy, and 56 percent were able to become current on their mortgages.
- Nearly 70 percent of clients who sought counseling before becoming delinquent were in their home and current on their mortgage payments at the 18-month follow-up period, whereas only 30 percent of clients who were six or more months behind at the time they entered counseling were in their home and current at follow-up.
Are there other resources available?
- Helpful Fact Sheets and additional resources are available from the Minnesota Homeownership Center.
- Minnesota joins the National Mortgage Settlement, involving Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank, and GMAC/Ally Financial.
- Loan Modification Scam Alert
- Minnesota Attorney General
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Financial Stability Initiative
- Minnesota Housing
Scott County CDA has adopted National Industry Standards. Find out more here.
Expertise in Foreclosure Assistance
One of the CDA’s foreclosure counselors was invited by the Minnesota Homeownership Center to speak to new foreclosure counselors at their latest certification training to share some tips and best practices. The CDA’s foreclosure counselors are knowledgeable and able to help! Services are free and confidential.